General Practitioner, Malmaldharra Health Centre
- We’re one of Australia’s largest providers of Aboriginal healthcare.
- We’re engaging with health issues at a grass roots community level.
- We’re looking for passionate individuals who are ready to help change the future for Aboriginal healthcare.
What we stand for
With eight clinics and growing across East Arnhem Land, we’re providing health care services for over 6,000 Indigenous residents. Our Board of Directors represents communities across the region, ensuring every decision we make helps empower Yolngu people to take control of their lives and direct their own futures.
We’re connected by passion
We share a passion for the rich history of the Yolngu culture and a commitment to ensure that the work we’re doing is instrumental in ensuring self-determination for Indigenous peoples. We’re a people place where going above and beyond is in our nature. We’re not just offering jobs, we’re offering a way to shape Australia’s future. Do you share our passion?
We need you
Miwatj Health are pleased to offer this position as a full time opportunity. Based in Milingimbi / Malmaldharra Clinic, you will be working closely with our Aboriginal workforce which is critical to our clients success. You’ll be committed to finding the best way to communicate with our clients and our team in order to provide great care in sometimes uncertain circumstances.
You will work in collaboration and report to the Clinic Manager to ensure the management of the office and clinic environment is kept in good order, health and safety requirements are adhered to and confidentiality is maintained at all times.
Core aspects of your role will include:
- Active participation in the daily clinical and health promotional routines.
- Accepting referrals of patients from other members of the health team.
- Review and follow-up of patients with on-going conditions.
- Use clinical information system (Communicare) to identify care needs, initiate recalls and care plans, and document patient consultation and care.
- Practice according to CARPA guidelines and the Miwatj endorsed protocols for the clinical management of chronic conditions.
- Participate in rostered clinics and outreach services - for example, Chronic Conditions and Child Health.
- Provide “in-service” education to health staff.
- Provide clear advice to admin staff about Medicare items to be claimed.
- Maintain a safe work environment.
- Present information as to the state of health of the community to the Board of Miwatj Health and, with the written permission of the Board, to individuals and organizations undertaking genuine research.
Whether working with a remote healthcare provider is in your bucket list, or something that is tried and tested, we’d love for you to reach out. East Arnhem Land offers a once in a lifetime opportunity to be part of a community where the richness of Yolngu culture is in the air you breathe.
A competitive salary of $280k per annum plus Super is on offer and a comprehensive range of benefits including:
- Salary packaging as a not for profit organisation.
- 6 weeks annual leave as well as flexible leave up to 75 hours per year.
- 4 weeks study and professional development leave with up to $5k study assistance.
- Free accommodation.
- Up to $10k relocation assistance and up to $15k repatriation assistance.
- $5k PI Insurance and travel allowance of up to $2,035 per annum for leave.
- Three return flights from community to Darwin PA.
How do you know if you’re the right fit?
In order to deliver on our mission, we know that a collaborative, supportive team is critical. We’re looking for people who are committed to not only growing their capability, but willing to step in and support other team members and clients. Whilst knowledge of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture is helpful, what will really see you thrive in our communities is an open mind, willingness to be exposed to culture, and curiosity. Before you reach out and apply, we need you to have:
- Knowledge and understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures, values and beliefs.
- Demonstrated skills and ability to communicate sensitively with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people from different cultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of issues effecting the health and well being of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in contemporary society.
- Medical Practitioner’s Specialist GP Registration with AHPRA.
- Extensive experience in General Practice.
- A commitment to improving Aboriginal health through primary health care.
- Demonstrated previous experience in a community or Clinical and Primary Health Care Service.
- Demonstrated experience or understanding of Aboriginal Community Control Primary Health Care Service.
- An ability to function as a member of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Excellent planning and organisational skills.
- Confident in dealing with the application of information technology.
Please click here to view the full job description.
For more information please contact the Miwatj Health Recruitment Team at: firstname.lastname@example.org and quote reference MHAC537.
Application close date: once the position is filled.
We’re proud to employ over 116 Yolngu employees and we are always looking to increase that number. If you’re Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander and interested in this role you are encouraged to apply.