Remote Area Nurse - Men's Health
- We’re one of Australia’s largest providers of Aboriginal healthcare.
- We’re engaging with health issues at a grass roots community level.
- We’re looking for passionate individuals who are ready to help change the future for Aboriginal healthcare.
What we stand for
With eight clinics and growing across East Arnhem Land, we’re providing health care services for over 6,000 Indigenous residents. Our Board of Directors represents communities across the region, ensuring every decision we make helps empower Yolngu people to take control of their lives and direct their own futures.
We’re connected by passion
We share a passion for the rich history of the Yolngu culture and a commitment to ensure that the work we’re doing is instrumental in ensuring self-determination for Indigenous peoples. We’re a people place where going above and beyond is in our nature. We’re not just offering jobs, we’re offering a way to shape Australia’s future. Do you share our passion?
We need you
Miwatj Health are pleased to offer this position as a full time opportunity. Based in Ramingining, you will be working closely with our Aboriginal workforce which is critical to our clients success. You’ll be committed to finding the best way to communicate with our clients and our team in order to provide great care in sometimes uncertain circumstances.
Core aspects of your role will include:
- To work in the Men’s Health Program in partnership with the Aboriginal Health workforce to provide high quality care to clients of Ramingining community.
- To provide Men’s Health Checks to clients including STI screening and treatment follow up.
- Coordinate Annual Male Adult Health Checks.
- Generate referral lists from Communicare across specialist areas and maintain a database for each specialist area to track assessments, treatments and follow-on referrals of adult males.
- To provide culturally inclusive quality health care to individuals, families and the community within own level of competency and across agreed procedures and protocols, and in accordance with CARPA Manual, in order to meet expected health outcomes.
- To follow up on medications, treatments or other procedures under the direction of the treating doctor.
- To work in collaboration with relevant stake holders to develop education programs and education materials.
- Contribute to the provision of a 24-hour service to Ramingining Clinic clients by undertaking after hours on call.
- Provide high quality emergency care that at times is independent but with telephone support
Whether working with a remote healthcare provider is in your bucket list, or something that is tried and tested, we’d love for you to reach out. East Arnhem Land offers a once in a lifetime opportunity to be part of a community where the richness of Yolngu culture is in the air you breathe.
A competitive salary of $110,606 - $118,826 PA (dependent on skills and experience) is available with this full time position.
How do you know if you’re the right fit?
In order to deliver on our mission, we know that a collaborative, supportive team is critical. We’re looking for people who are committed to not only growing their capability, but willing to step in and support other team members and clients. Whilst knowledge of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture is helpful, what will really see you thrive in our communities is an open mind, willingness to be exposed to culture, and curiosity. Before you reach out and apply, we need you to have:
- Current Registration and annual Practicing Certificate as a Registered Nurse with AHPRA.
- Minimum of 5 years broad nursing experience post registration and 3 years working as a remote area nurse with experience working in Men’s Health program.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles of Primary Health Care, and program delivery in a Primary Health Care setting.
- Demonstrated understanding and knowledge of social determinants of health issues affecting Aboriginal people.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with people from a diverse culture, where English is not their first language.
- Demonstrated ability and experience working autonomously and collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with experience in participating in emergency after hours call services.
- Demonstrated excellent and effective communication and computer skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and understanding of the Continuous Quality Improvement processes, infection control and WHS principles.
- Demonstrated commitment to professional development and best practice.
- Capacity to reside in remote communities.
- Remote Emergency Care certificate (REC).
- Current About Giving Vaccines certificate (AGV) or equivalent recognised certificate.
- Current Basic Life Support certificate (BLS).
- Current Manual drivers licence and ability to operate a 4x4 wheel drive vehicle
Please click here to view the full job description.
For more information please contact the Miwatj Health Recruitment Team at: firstname.lastname@example.org and quote reference MHAC540.
Application close date: once the position is filled.
We’re proud to employ over 116 Yolngu employees and we are always looking to increase that number. If you’re Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander and interested in this role you are encouraged to apply.