Aboriginal Community Worker - MECSH - Casual - 100538
- We’re one of Australia’s largest providers of Aboriginal healthcare.
- We’re engaging with health issues at a grass roots community level.
- We’re looking for passionate individuals who are ready to help change the future for Aboriginal healthcare.
What we stand for
With eight clinics and growing across East Arnhem Land, we’re providing health care services for over 6,000 Indigenous residents. Our Board of Directors represents communities across the region, ensuring every decision we make helps empower Yolngu people to take control of their lives and direct their own futures.
We’re connected by passion
We share a passion for the rich history of the Yolngu culture and a commitment to ensure that the work we’re doing is instrumental in ensuring self-determination for Indigenous peoples. We’re a people place where going above and beyond is in our nature. We’re not just offering jobs, we’re offering a way to shape Australia’s future. Do you share our passion?
We need you
Miwatj Health are pleased to offer this position as a casual opportunity. Based in our Ramingining Clinic you will be working closely with our Aboriginal workforce which is critical to our clients success. You’ll be committed to finding the best way to communicate with our clients and our team in order to provide great care in sometimes uncertain circumstances.
Core aspects of your role will include:
- To work in partnership with other health professionals to ensure a multi-disciplinary approach to health care.
- To assist the MECSH RN with all referrals received direct from the clinic and communities.
- To assist Mothers and Babies to attend clinic appointments.
- To liaise with other organizations to effectively assist clients with their needs and build relationships across early childhood groups.
- To conduct regular home visits to MECSH enrolled families and provide education on healthy skin and environmental health.
- To co-ordinate and participate in individual and group education as outlined in the MECSH/MIWATJ addendum with a focus on cultural knowledge e.g. smoking ceremonies and manikay.
- To form part of a multi-service early childhood team for Miwatj Health services and attend multi-service meetings and events representing Miwatj Health.
Whether working with a remote healthcare provider is in your bucket list, or something that is tried and tested, we’d love for you to reach out. East Arnhem Land offers a once in a lifetime opportunity to be part of a community where the richness of Yolngu culture is in the air you breathe.
A competitive rate of $33.89 - $36.79 per hour (dependent on skills and experience) is provided with this casual position.
How do you know if you’re the right fit?
In order to deliver on our mission, we know that a collaborative, supportive team is critical. We’re looking for people who are committed to not only growing their capability, but willing to step in and support other team members and clients. Whilst knowledge of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture is helpful, what will really see you thrive in our communities is an open mind, willingness to be exposed to culture, and curiosity. Before you reach out and apply, we need you to have:
- Ability and willingness to learn principles of MECSH program.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills in English and Yolngu Matha.
- Commitment to practice with sensitivity in a cross-cultural environment.
- Commitment to personal and professional development including the sharing of knowledge, information and skills with work colleagues.
- Commitment to support and participate in change processes and to work within a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to learn computer skills.
- Current Northern Territory drivers licence or willingness to obtain.
- Knowledge and ability to work with children and families.
- Ability to liaise and build relationships across a wide range of services.
- Adhere Miwatj Occupational Health and Safety protocols.
Please click here to view the full job description.
Due to cultural reasons, this position is an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander female identified position.
This position is located in Ramingining NT, housing and / or relocation is not included in this vacancy.
For more information please contact the Miwatj Health Recruitment Team at: email@example.com and quote reference MHAC543.
Application close date: Once the position is filled.
We’re proud to employ over 116 Yolngu employees and we are always looking to increase that number. If you’re Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander and interested in this role you are encouraged to apply.